Friday, July 31, 2020

Kathryn Estavilla Putnam

 
My grandmother Kathryn Putnam was the quintessential grandmother. There were always candies in the dishes on the coffee table and big hugs and kisses.

Kathryn died when I was only 5 years old, but my memories of her are all wonderful. When I would visit, she would be in her easy chair in the corner of the living room next to grandpa in his own easy chair. I remember her sitting there with her knees bouncing, arms stretched out and a big smile on her face. She just couldn't wait for me to run over there to her. Here is a picture of her in that easy chair with my grandpa Everett Poland Sr.



As I have dug into my family history, I have learned that grandma Kathryn had quite and interesting life before she became my grandma. 

Kathryn Estavilla Putnam was born on July 25, 1909 in Danville, Illinois to William Earl Putnam and Lacy Mae Brewer Putnam. Kathryn was the 2nd of 6 children born to William Earl and Lacy Mae. She got her middle name from her grandmother Lillie Estavilla McGahan Putnam. 

In June 1928, Kathryn married her first husband Kenneth Frederick Scott in Hancock county Indiana. This marriage didn't last long as they were divorced in May 1929. 
In June 1929, Kathryn married her second husband William Andrew Deakins in Indianapolis Indiana, but that marriage didn't last either. Kathryn and William were divorced in Nov 1933. 
In December 1933, Kathryn married for the third time to Charles Wilbur Anderson in Indianapolis, Indiana. This marriage lasted until July 1942. 
On April 4, 1943, Kathryn married for the last time to my grandfather Everett Poland Sr. 

Kathryn and Everett bought a house near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Eagledale Drive and lived a quiet, normal life. The couple only had 1 child, my father Everett Poland Jr on June 26, 1950. They were members of the Catholic Church and my father attended Cardinal Ritter High School. 

Kathryn enjoyed gardening. She even reached out to the Gardening column in the Indianapolis Star newspaper looking for starts of Lilac bushes, advice about Lillies, and how to deter moles among other things.



Kathryn passed away August 16, 1976. 



No comments:

Post a Comment